This thing is getting irritating.
And irritating is the right word for what I’m feeling. Because all of the measures taken in response to the “corona” situation are ( for the most part) justified and prudent and I have no real complaint about flattening the curve and being a team player on the great big “World vs COVID-19” game going on right now. Can you tell I spend more time watching ESPN than I probably should?
But, yeah, it’s irritating.
- make (someone) annoyed, impatient, or angry.
Not seeing my friends, outside of on a computer screen. Not hanging at my favorite local establishment. Not getting together with a couple hundred, or thousand, runners and doing what we love to do, together. Not wandering down to the local farmer’s market, listening to live music, making a pass at an attractive woman and getting turned down.
Things like that.
They’re making me annoyed, impatient & angry.
However, I’m down with the common good. I’m down with being a part of the solution. And I know darn well that SO many others have it far worse than I. So I’m good.
Just a little irritated.
So, I do what I can. Run virtual races, have Zoom wine tastings, workouts here at home, and, yes, watch T.V. Now to those of you who “ don’t own a T.V., haven’t had one in years and don’t miss it in the least”. I know, I know, you listen to music, meditate, handcraft your own pottery, read Sanskrit and are very , very much deeper than the rest of us slobs….
…actually, I digress, because none of those people read my blog….
But for those of you who do deign to stare at the idiot box for hours on end instead of getting the dandelions pulled or the screen door patched or the beef steak pounded, my boggial contribution for the week is a list of my top most binge-able series, and some which are , well, maybe not.
So, in no particular order;
- Ozark (Netflix) Laura Linney is, well, Laura Linney. As interesting and amazing an actress as any working today. Families, drug cartels, sex, violence and where did this amazing Julia Garner person come from?
- The first 4 seasons of Vikings ( Amazon Prime) Good violent, bloody fare, with an occasional cameo by celebs (Gabrielle Byrne) But for my money, after Ragnar dies (Travis Fimmel) the whole thing kinda comes to a grinding halt. But for 4 seasons, heck yes.
- Norsemen (Netflix) Total spoof of Vikings, but funny as hell. And Silje Torp, as the warrior maiden Froya? Oh yeah.
- Jack Ryan ( Amazon Prime) I may never be able to forgive John Krasinski for stealing Emily Blunt, but he makes a damn good action hero. And Noomi Rapace from the original “Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” is in season 2. Plus, John Hoogenakker, the King in the Bud light commercials, has a recurring role. Bonus!!
- True Detective, seasons 1 & 2 ( Amazon Prime) The first season, with Woody Harrelson & Matthew McConaughey, is freaking great. The 2nd, with Colin Farrel & Vince Vaughn, is pretty darn good. Season 3? Mehhh.
- Sherlock ( Netflix) As a kid, I loved Basil Rathbone. As a young (er) adult, I adored Jeremy Brett. So I resisted this . But to no avail. Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and the rest are fabulous. Ok, Ok, it’s really, really good. There, are you happy now?
- Rake ( Netflix) Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!! Richard Roxburg is a n’er do well lawyer who drinks , smokes and f#!@ks his way to the top. A glorious train wreck of a series.
- Fleabag ( HBO) Game changer. The way it is shot, the storytelling. Just a totally different, smart, hilarious ride. Phoebe Walker Bridge. Blame her for this. Amazing.
- Marco Polo (Netflix) Sex & violence among the mongol hordes. Really good violence. Really good sex. And Benedict Wong, who is in more & more stuff, and better & better.
- Narcos Mexico (Netflix) Great drug trade twist & turns, and you get to practice your Spanish as well!
- Chernobyl (HBO) Just a great, well acted drama, with Stellan Skarsgard, Jared Harris & Emily Watson. What more could you want?
Guilty Pleasure Alert!
- Derry Girls (Netflix) I don’t know if it’s because I’ve been there and know all the places they go to (Denis’s Wee Shop is real!?!) Or that I grew up going to catholic schools. But this comedy about growing up in Derry / Londonderry during the troubles is freaking hilarious.
- Four more Shots Please! (Amazon Prime) Indian “Sex in the City”, except Carrie and the gang didn’t do it for me, and Gurbani ( Bani G), the ultra-fit trainer in this series, oh hells yes.
Ok, that’s all I’ve got. Enjoy them, or at least try them out, while I go slogging through mediocrity looking for another one. Or maybe I’ll sell my TV.
Who am I kidding.
English Premiere league soccer will be back eventually.